Labels

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dear Alice

      I can certainly see myself utilizing blogging in my classroom.  For each unit in each grade. I can replace a  paper grade in each class.  Let's say I am introducing "The Walrus and theCarpenter" teaching metaphors, Not only can I show examples from other sources as well as my own, but I can allow students to comment with their thoughts on the subject.  I can see this working in all my classes.....(Once I get a projector this can really get to grooving).  when learning this I can use the blog to post from you tube and other sites that may be helpful to content.  Such as these :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

A metaphor is saying that two things are the same regardless of similarity using is and are..
Ex: His head is a big balloon.
Her eyes are darts.
He is such a clown.
She is a cute little bug.
Her smile lights up the room.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simile

A simile is comparing two things that are not alike using like or as to connect the idea.
Ex: Her smiles is like sunshine.
His jokes are as finny as a broken gas pipe.
His living room was as cold as a winters day.
The cats fur was as soft as baby's skin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alegory

An allegory uses symbolism to send a message to the reader.  Using symbolism increases the figurative mode of language.  "Planet of the Apes", "X- Men", "Aesop's Fables" are all examples of allegories.  Whether making a political statement, a religious statement or any other topic the writer choose.  It acts like a written subliminal message.

Disney did "Alice in Wonderland"  and included a version of "The Walrus and the Carpenter".  And as you can see I have also added the original text/  See if you can find all the similes, metaphors and allegories that this little treasure holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment